Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Walk to School


image found on My Health Bridge.com

This morning I set off to school in a great mood. It was seventy-five degrees and the cool breeze made me think of autumn…and male models in tweed.

I pass by a number of locals on my journey—like the guy on the bike who made fun of my tan lines, and the scantily dressed woman who was handed a wad of cash as she exited her daddy’s vehicle. Do you see how I make up stories to trick myself into feeling safe and secure? It’s my new favorite game. The pepper spray on my key chain is my backup. Touch me and I’ll set your eyeballs on fire…jerk.

My most recent encounter involves an old man with a cane.
I’m a sucker for old people. In fact, I prefer them to babies. As I’m walking toward the elderly gentleman, I find myself reminiscing about my grandfather. I always found it so charming that he would sit outside in the Texas sun and whistle along with the birds. With this memory in mind, I smile tenderly at my new Miami grandfather before hearing him seductively say, “Hey Baby…”

True story.

Just another thing that I’m questioning here in Miami…other than my cup size.

8 comments:

  1. HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm praying that i live to see many more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...lmao... So what you're telling me is your walk to school is an English speaking version of Italy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary Beth,

    I moved from the UK to the Miami. It's been a very good experience and have learned a LOT. However, I am ready to return to the UK.

    I wanted to ask you, do you ever miss the UK? I used to read your UK blog everyday, now I read your Miami Blog :). The thing that surprised me the most was one day you were living and working in Yorkshire, then the next day you were gone!

    Anyway, good luck with your time in Miami enjoy it and treat it like family in-law. Nice to visit but wouldn't want to stay any length of time.

    Good Luck,

    Cameron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do miss the uk...the people, national healthcare, and strawberry beer. as for leaving so suddenly, quite a few of the people that i worked with regularly read my blog, so i wanted to let them know in person before posting it for everyone to see. i had an amazing two years, but i have to say, it's really nice to be back in the us of a.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you need to carry more than just some pepper spray...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to hear of another person who is more about grandparents (related and adopted) rather than babies, I find myself wondering if I am missing some critical gene sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. grenades~ha.

    i think the whole baby loving gene comes into play when you stumble upon a baby daddy worthy gent. i dunno.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...